Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Completely Out of It

My brain feels like mush. I just spent the last 3 hours or so of my life reading about pharmacology. And I don't really feel like I'm all that more knowledgeable about it than I was when I started. Sad day. This is the story of my life lately.

Yesterday I learned how to insert a catheter. Wow. I really think I could have gone my whole life without knowing how to do that and been ok with it. But, unpleasant as it was, I got through it. I'm quickly learning that a big part of learning to be a nurse is going to be me learning to step out of my comfort zone and do what needs to be done. I'm sure there will be plenty of times when I'm required to do something I'd rather not do, but someone will be counting on me for their well-being, which is so much more important than my comfort. I am having to learn how to be selfless, which, unfortunately, is not one of my strongest traits.

The little bit of my life spent away from school-related activities is going pretty well. I miss my friends though. People I saw multiple times a day last year I now see maybe once a week. This makes me sad on the inside. Although I do have to admit I am partially to blame. Much of the free time I do find I spend with a certain boy I know. I'm hoping to find an opprotunity to introduce him to everyone in the near future, because I think that would be fun. Until then I suppose he will remain the mysterious boy who has captured my fancy, if you will...as it were...be that as it may.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

brooke~ i know how hard it is to insert catheters and care for people, especially babies with apnea. i am, after all, an english major. ;)

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home