Monday, April 02, 2007

Lesson learned: Do not brag about things over which you have no control.

Just a few days ago, I was going on and on to Charles about the fact that I never get sick. I was so proud of the fact that I couldn't remember an occasion in recent years when I had found myself in the position where I had to miss class or call in sick to work due to illness. Sure, I get the occasional cold and whatnot, but I pretty much refuse to be really sick.

If ever a person jinxed themself, I certainly did. From Friday on I found myself battling cycles of sore throat, chills, and aches, followed by extreme hot flashes and nasty sweatiness. I haven't been miserable constantly. There have been plenty of intervals of several hours in which I felt almost like a real person again, but so far those times have not stuck. And, according to the doctor, the 101 degree temperature I was running this afternoon means I cannot go to work tomorrw. Another bragging right shot down. And the worst of it is, Charles was here to see me this weekend, and here I was, a sickly bum who refused to admit she was sick. He was great though. He wrapped me up in blankets when I was shivering, held cold washcloths on my face when I thought I would burn to death, and was not repulsed by my sweatiness. He also refused to accept my stubborn claims of being perfectly fine. And the best part was, he never once acted like he didn't want to be here. Even though I apologized about a zillion times for being such a bum, he kept on telling me that there was nowhere else he'd rather be. And the crazy thing is, I think I believe him. I think I must be a pretty lucky girl. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home