Thursday, February 08, 2007

So I had probably the busiest day at work that I've ever had today. It was a little bit insane. Highlights include:

  • Having 3 different charge nurses (thankfully, none of whom were me).
  • Taking care 7 different patients throughout the course of the day. (Minimum of 4 and maximum of 6 at one time.)
  • Assisting a 5'11", 300+ lb., 11-year old patient to use a bedpan.
  • Informing the parents of a probably terminal cancer patient suffering from severe chronic pain that there is a national shortage of the new pain medicine her doctor ordered, so we will have to continue with the current, seemingly ineffective treatment regimen until the other drug becomes available sometime next week.
  • Listening politely while the mother of one of my patients talked for at least 15 minutes solid about the sudden death of Anna Nicole Smith, the snow that is predicted to fall on Wednesday, spicy ice cream in Mexico, the religious preferences of her various family members, and her suspicions of the sexual orientation of her cousin's 10-year-old son. (She was actually quite entertaining to listen to, but not so helpful in a time crunch.)
  • Attempting to impart my limited knowlege on an overly-eager nursing student, while desperately trying to catch up on my charting.
  • Clocking out at 8:38pm, an hour and 38 minutes after my shift ended.

As if the day wasn't already crazy enough, we also found out early this morning that JCAHO representatives were making rounds in the hospital. Every time I saw an unfamiliar person walk down the hall towards the unit, I said a little prayer that it wasn't someone from JCAHO coming to grill me or follow me around, waiting for me to mess up. Thankfully, the pedi unit was spared this little joy today. I wish the same good fortune upon those working this weekend...

Crazy as it was, I survived and lived to tell the tale. Lucky for you. :) Just be glad you are not Megan or Moose, who happened to be the captive audience I unloaded on for approximately 45 minutes after I finally arrived home. Yay for friends who will listen and at least pretend to be interested in your professional trials and tribulations. I have good friends. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger clem1957 said...

Now I know why so many soap operas have hospital scenes; it makes for good entertainment, drama, crisis and romance! Sounds like you're having fun.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home