Monday, November 21, 2005

Why, one might ask, would a person who has a list of tasks to be accomplished in the next 15 hours, and has had ample time to start accomplishing said tasks (time of which she has not taken advantage), continue to procrastinate, knowing that she will regret it the next day? Why, indeed? A very good question. And in response I say to you...I have no clue. But I do know that this has become my usual pattern of behavior. And I love it. Well, maybe not love it so much, but I have learned to function this way. Something about knowing that I still have time makes me not want to hurry to get things done now. True, if I went ahead and did the things I had to do now, I could enjoy the free time later, but I'd much rather enjoy it now. And I find that I am much more efficient when under pressure. If I feel that I have more time than is needed to accomplish something, then I tend to make very slow progress and become distracted incredibly easily. But, on the other hand, if I know that I have a very limited amount of time in which to do the things I must do, I go into super-focus mode. I am able to drown out my surroundings and get done what needs to be done. It's a very strange phenomenon indeed. Perhaps if I set time limits for myself I could become more responsible by the rest of the world's standards. But I have a very strong suspicion that it wouldn't work. Because, you see, I would know all along that the time frame I was under was not a real time frame at all, and so would never acheive the super-focus mode that comes of being under an actual time frame. (It's kind of like setting your clock 10 minutes ahead to avoid being late, but knowing that you actually have 10 more minutes than it says you have, and so being late anyway.) And so, I must resign myself to my fate as an over-achieving, perfectionist procrastinator. Such a difficult life I lead...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home