Sunday, July 09, 2006

Tonight Megan and I went out and played volleyball with a bunch of friends. It was a lot of fun. I miss big group events like that. Of course, when approximately 90% of "the group" is married to each other, large group gatherings seem to lose a bit of their appeal. Sad day for us single folk. Oh well. I've been feeling lately like I need to start doing something with my life. I go to work my 3 days a week, and I think that's meaningful, but what do I do with the rest of my time? Honestly, the majority of it is spent either in my bed sleeping, or on the couch in front of the TV. What is that accomplishing? As I mentioned before, I recently began reading The Purpose Driven Life. I am really enjoying it so far. Today's chapter was about how everything and everyone was created to glorify God. This has always been a bit of a mysterious phrase to me. How exactly does one go about giving glory to God? It sounds like a good idea, but what does it look like? The author suggests that everything in creation gives glory to God when it carries out the purpose for which it was created. For example, a bird glorifies God when it flies, and builds nests, and feeds its babies regurgitated worms, because that's what it was created to do. Now, at this point I may not be 100% certain of what God's purpose for me is, but I'm pretty sure it's not sleeping 14 hours a day and watching 6 episodes of Friends in a row. Just a guess. I do believe that working as a nurse is a big part of God's purpose for my life, but I also believe that there is more. I don't know exactly what. Maybe it's being there for my roommates, family, and friends. Maybe it's being nice to someone who's having a bad day. Maybe it's making people smile. I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure I won't figure it out from my couch. I want to get out and start living my life, instead of simply existing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

THIS sounds exciting, Brooke. Can't wait to hear how that pans out for you.
Thanks for stopping by my blog while I'm in Israel. Internet access is sketchy, so I'm sorry for the scattered postings.

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home