Monday, July 03, 2006

I started reading The Purpose Driven Life today. I was bored, and began scouring the roommates' shelves in search of a new book to read, and stumbled across this one. The hype surrounding this book in the last few years has made me bit of a cynic. I wonder if it really is such an amazing, life-changing combination of words, or if it's just one of those "Christian fads" that people claim are so wonderful, yet practical application is mysteriously absent, or short-lived at best. But then, I suppose the outcome of the reading has little to do with the words of the book themselves, but rather the attitude of their reader. And so, I have determined that with an open and prayerful heart I will peruse the pages of this book to see if the wisdom of one Rick Warren will encourage me on my journey to discovering God's divine purpose for my life. I must say, I found the first chapter rather thought-provoking. It was a discussion of the concept that God is the provider and sustainer of every person on earth. This is a rather basic, yet essential concept. I am here because God wants me to be here. Long before I was born, or even thought of, God knew who I would be and what he would do with me and through me. And that means that God made me exactly as I am on purpose. If I criticize some supposed flaw in my character or personality, I am criticizing God's handiwork. Am I really brave enough to do that? Or what about when I get so frustrated because I feel like I don't know who I am? I look so far within myself, I look to my friends, I look to my family, trying to define myself. Why is it the last one I think to look to is God, who made me, and therefore knows me a million times better than I could ever know myself? Interesting... Another thought that occurred to me while reading this chapter was, if God created me exactly the way I am on purpose, then that must mean he created everybody else the way they are on purpose. Even the people I think are weird or creepy or annoying. Now I'm not saying that people, myself included, don't make choices that are contrary to God's design, I'm just saying that everyone was hand-made by God and has a story. That's hard for me to remember sometimes. Something I've been really working on lately is seeing people through God's eyes. It can be quite challenging at times... So, as you can see, I am hopeful about my journey through this book. I may post other thoughts about what I read from time to time. Any additional thoughts or insights or points to ponder are more than welcome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home