Wednesday, April 19, 2006

You are reading the blog of a newly employed girl. That's right, I heard back from Hendrick yesterday. I got the job in pediatrics! Hooray! Now I can officially live in Abilene with Phyllis and Megan. (I'm sure I would have lived with them even if I didn't get the job, but this makes much more sense...)

I am currently watching Titanic. It has been ages since I've seen this movie. I think the last time I watched it was the 3rd time I paid to see it in the theater. For some reason I have one very vivid memory of one of the occasions on which I saw it in theaters. I was with Jenny Berry and Ashley Lord. Ashely was wearing a sweatshirt with Tickle Me Elmo on it that actually laughed when you pushed it. She accidentally hit it during a very quiet scene and allowed the whole theater to share in Elmo's felicity. (I love that word. Using it in context makes me feel like Miss Eliza Bennet...oh Pride and Prejudice...how I love you!)

Today at Cooks I helped take care of a 22-year-old girl with a probable relapse of Hodgkin's lymphoma. It was a bit different taking care of someone my own age as opposed to the infants and children we're used to seeing. She was a really sweet girl though, and it makes me so sad that she's having to go through what she's going through. She was diagnosed 2 years ago, and after 20 rounds of chemo and 25 rounds of radiation, had gone into remission. Then this week the doctors found a tumor in her lung that they are 90% sure is cancer. They removed it, and she's currently waiting for the biopsy results. I hope she gets good news. I can't even imagine what she must be feeling right now. There are times when I just don't understand God's logic. Why should this girl, who's the same age as me, have to deal with this life-threatening illness while I've never had anything worse than the flu or chicken pox? I know He has His reasons, but I don't pretend to know what they are.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

congratulations! onto the real world!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

I'm so glad you got a job! Congrats! I had a sort of similar experience when I saw Titanic in the theater. During a really quiet, touching part I accidently kicked my empty coke can. The theater was on a slant so you heard it roll all the way down.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke,

I just stumbled onto your blog by accident. I work in Pedi at Hendrick. Congrats, and looking forward to meeting you. Kelly Hendley

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home