Monday, October 31, 2005

Ok, I know I just posted, like, an hour ago, but I felt compelled to share this little piece of inspiration with the masses. This is an actual quote from one of my textbooks on nursing theory:

"Envision rainbows of light particles surrounding and enveloping the nurse and patient. These particles are vibrating, intermingling, ebbing, and flowing as the transpersonal moment occurs. At close proximity, individual colors emitted by both the patient and the nurse intensify and mix, and when the two move away from each other the colors soften and become pale. When nurse and patient conclude the interaction, and one or the other moves increasingly away, there is a pale trail of vibrating color that follows each participant, with lingering hues of the nurse within the client and the client within the nurse."

Somehow, I feel like the only way to do this paragraph justice is to put it to interpretive dance. Unfortunately, I'm not the best choreographer. But remember this next time you are a patient at a docotor's office or hospital. Pay close attention to your conversation with your nurse, and watch for the rainbows. Surely this is what nursing is all about...

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

beely -- today in my 18th century british lit class (doesn't that make me sound smart?!), i was attempting to explain to some classmates how you used to do dramatic readings of optimist articles in the dorm. like the dancing pig one. and they thought it was funny, but i could tell they did not fully embrace the meaning behind it. but i do. i love you and i think you're the sassiest thing on two wheels.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

ahh...the good ol' dorm days! what good times we had there! this quote would make a good dramatic reading, as well. even as i read it to myself, i did a dramatic reading of it in my head. i'm such a nerd!!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. doctors have access to too many drugs.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home