Monday, February 21, 2005

Random thought for the day: 10 months from today is my 22nd birthday. I know. I'm pathetic. But I am ok with that. Why should I stop getting excited about birthdays just because I'm no longer a little kid? The child within will never die.

Today I had clinicals from 6:30am-4:30pm. Long day. Only 4 more to go!! This makes me happy. Today was exceptionally boring, as my patient spent the whole day lying in bed either sleeping or watching TV. She never needed anything. Good for her, good for the nurse who had 5 other patients to deal with, bad for me, who spent the entire day wandering the floor looking for something, anything, to do. Sad day.

Happy thought: spring break is only 2 weeks away!! Yay!! Now I just have to come up with something fun & exciting to do during my week off. Hmmm...no clue.

So I'm really interested in going on this 10 day medical mission trip to Honduras this summer. This guy from ACU (can't remember his name...help me out Phyllis...he's all about Urugay...Jack something, I think) came to our class the other day and told us about it. Ever since last summer when I wasted away taking summer school and working while all my friends did awesome things all over the world, I've been determined that this summer I will do something worthwhile. And I've been especially interested in finding a mission trip to get involved in, preferably with a medical focus. I really haven't put a whole lot of effort into searching for such an opportunity, so I feel like ignoring this possibility would be ridiculous. My parents are all for me finding an opportunity to serve like that, but they're very concerned about the financial obligation involved. I think that if God opens up a door for me that is feasible in every other way, He will work the financial aspect out as well. So, yes, please pray for me in this. Pray that I will not let this opportunity pass me by without looking into, and that if this doesn't work out, God will show me other ways in which I can serve this summer.

Yesterday I went to church with Ryan at Beltway. I really enjoyed it. Obviously, the service was different from what I'm used to, but that didn't really even register much. I especially enjoyed the pastor's message. He talked about worship and how it's not about an assembly on Sunday mornings, it's about living your daily life in a way that brings glory to God. He suggested that worship is something that everyone does. It's not about if you worship, but what you worship, and the ways in which we spend our time and money is a reflection of what we worship. Wow. Not an easy thing for this girl to hear. When I think about where the vast majority of my time and money goes, I realize what a selfish, self-absorbed person I have become lately. Instead of spending my extra minutes here and there thanking God for the blessings he's put in my life, I complain about the things in my life that aren't exactly as I wish they were. Prayer has become an afterthought; something that is supposed to happen before I go to bed or before meals, but that has no real thought or emotion behind it. Setting aside time for Bible reading and meditation almost never occurs. Anyone who looked soley at my actions in day-to-day life would probably not describe me as a very worshipful person. This must change. Lately I've been realizing that I'm living my life so as to get the most out of it while putting as little effort as possible into it. It's starting to blow up in my face in every aspect of my life: my grades, my friendships, my relationship with Ryan, my walk with God. I'm sick of it. A change must occur. Now is the time for me to get past my empty promises to myself and everyone else in my life and make a real change. I know it will be worth the effort.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

this post is funny because i always looked to you as a spiritual exmaple! so don't be too hard on yourself...there's always rooms for improvement, but i know you are a light to LOTS of people, including me. God is definitely using you in ways no one could imagine.

mushiness complete. you also have cool hair.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

example. bad english major.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honey dearest we have always shared a common bond in desiring the most of our faiths. I struggle with the same thing you do, but I as well have come to realize that the richest parts of our faith seem to be the hardest to do. Sacrifice, service, purity, loving the unlovable. But they wouldnt rock the world if they were easy. So.. in point... make that change girl, but don't think that you were ever a horrible person for struggling with the things we all struggle with. You are a HUGE encouragement to me. Thanks for that, and thank God too.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home