Sunday, October 10, 2004

Why did the possum cross the road?

Tonight I hit and killed a possum on South 1st. It was a very traumatic event in my life. I have never hit an animal in my car before. Ryan was in the car with me. He laughed. We just had a conversation about a week ago about the fact that I had never hit an animal before. I think he jinxed me. I didn't even see the poor thing coming till I was about 6 inches away from it. Then I felt it. It was awful. Ryan suggested that we go back and check to see if it was ok. Bad idea. We returned to the scene of the incident only to find it splattered across the next lane. I thought I might cry. Ryan laughed harder. Note to self: if I ever hit another animal, do not go back to see if it's ok. Assume it walked it off and went to be with its happy animal friends and lived happily ever after.

So yesterday marked another major milestone in the Brooke-Ryan relationship. I met la familia de Ryan. It was a quality experience. His parents came in from The Woodlands and his younger sister and her boyfriend came in from Tech, so I got to meet them all. We went to lunch at Texas Roadhouse and I was entertained with stories from Ryan's mom and sister that made his face turn red. It was fabulous. After I got off work Saturday night, I got to see them all again. We went over to the hotel where his parents and sister were staying and played a rousing game of Sequence. I was on a team with his mom. We lost. Three times in a row. It was a sad day. But fun nonetheless. I love his family, and felt very at ease around them, so I think that's a pretty good thing. According to Ryan, I met with the approval of all members of his family as well, so that's definately a good thing. Apparently his sister has never liked any girl he's dated, and made that fact well known, but she said specifically that she likes me. This makes me happy, because I think she is awesome. She had me cracking up the whole time I was around her. So yay for that.

This weekend some of the high schoolers from my youth group in Arlington are in town, so I spent much of today hanging out with some friends who are still in high school. It was good times. They were very interested to meet this new boy in my life, so I subjected Ryan to further awkwardness by dragging him to a devo of approximately 30 high school kids, my youth minister, and various other adults from back home who are friends of my family. Slightly intimidating? I would think so. But I think it went well. There were some people there that he already knew, and he's pretty good at meeting new people, so things weren't too awkward. I'm assuming the people from home liked him, because he told me he got about 4 invitations to come to Arlington, so there you go.

I really think we're about to make my theory of experiencing every awkward moment possible within the first month of dating a reality. This coming Friday marks one month of us dating, and we've already met each other's whole families, as well as a good number of friends. I do have to say I've subjected him to a whole lot more of my friends than he's subjected me to his friends, but he's promised to get even. I'm thinking that there can't be a whole lot more awkwardness to be experienced, but I'm definately sure if there is we'll find it. We both seem to have a gift for awkward moments, so together there's no telling what kinds of adventures we'll stumble across.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home