Friday, July 18, 2008

As anticipated, orientation was a week and a half of listening to lectures on such enthralling topics as "Time and Attendance" and "Professional Boundaries." There were more nursing-related topics thrown in there as well, but all-in-all it was 8 days of boredom held in a classroom that could have doubled as a meat locker. But I survived. And, on the upside, I met some fellow newbies to my floor so I won't be going into unit orientation without a familiar face.

Yesterday I pulled my first 12-hour shift in like a month. Ouch. I wasn't really doing anything except following around a nurse on the floor and basically learning where things are kept and the routines of the unit. But after 2 weeks of sleeping 12 hours a day and a week and half of 8-hour days, it was a little rough. I was so tired! But I say bring on the 12-hour days as long as means as I only have to work 3 days a week again. This girl was not cut out for 5 day work weeks.

It was nice to finally get to spend some time on the floor where I will be working. So far I really like the staff I have met and I think I will have a good time working there. I laughed a lot yesterday, so to me that is a good sign. I haven't met my actual preceptor yet, but when I told people yesterday who she was, they all seemed to think I had a good one, so that is exciting. Today they are having about a 2 hour unit orientation for all us newbies so we can meet people and learn a bit about what is going on and eat pizza. I can't decide if I'm more excited about the meeting people or the pizza....just kidding....it's definitely the pizza. :)

Seriously though, I am really ready to have some friends here! I love being back in the Metroplex, but pretty much all of my friends who used to be here are no longer here. Charles has quite a few friends that still live around here, so he is better at the whole being social thing than I am. I am getting tired of just doing nothing all the time. I need friends!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

With your smile and fun-lovin' attitude you will have friends in no time! I'm glad you are enjoying your new job!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Don't worry Brooke! We will hang out soon. We aren't too far away from you guys...Stephen and I are both out of town this week, but we will call you guys when we get back!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm glad you like Cook's! You're going to dazzle everyone, and pretty soon you'll be saying, "People, people, PLEASE! There's only one Brooke! I simply can't hang out with all of you ALL the time!" You'll have to work your admirers in shifts.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home