Sunday, March 29, 2009

Well, the good news is that Emmy does not have Addison's disease. But, we still don't know what caused her megaesophagus. The vet is not too concerned about running a bunch of other tests at this point, since 40-50% of the time they never determine a cause. For now, her medicines seem to be working. She has not thrown up at all since we started giving them to her. Hooray! She seems to be adjusting to her eating from her new elevated feeding dishes as well. However, most of the time she still just takes the food from the bowl, carries it into the living room, drops it, and eats it off the floor. What a weirdo.

Today Charles and I took Emmy for a walk in our new neighborhood. It is such a gorgeous day today! It was nice just to get outside for a little while. We really should probably start walking more often. I think it would be good for us. And the dog. And, now that we have a nice neighborhood to walk in, we really have no excuse not to.

For the past several weeks, Charles and I have been going to church at Lakeside Church of Christ here in Mansfield. It is less than 5 minutes from our house, which is fantastic. But that is not the only reason we like it. It is a smallish size church, which really seems to fit us. We really loved the small, family feel of Hope back in Abilene, and it was really hard for us to leave it. Ever since we have moved back, we have kind of been church hopping trying to find a place where we felt at home. It was especially hard when we lived in the apartment in North Richland Hills, because we didn't really feel motivated to get involved in a church out there since we knew we would only be living there for a short time. We went back and forth to Pleasant Ridge, but never really felt that would be our forever home either. Charles definitely prefers a smaller congregation, and I was just ready to go somewhere where we would put down our own, new roots. (Not that I don't love my family there with all my heart, biological and spiritual!) So we have been going to Lakeside for about a month or so now, and we have really enjoyed it. Everyone we have met has been super friendly, and the church has a nice, close-knit, family feel to it. Today we asked about joining one of the small groups that meets on Sunday nights. We figured that would be a good way to get to know some people better, and find out more about what the people of Lakeside are all about. The guy we met told us they weren't meeting tonight, but that he would definitely get in touch with us about next week. I am excited!

I am ready to feel more settled in life. I really haven't felt all that settled since we moved back from Abilene. I'm definitely glad to be here, don't get me wrong, but I guess I just haven't felt "home" yet. I think a huge part of it is because I haven't really established a group of friends here again. Pretty much all the people I hung out with before aren't here anymore, and even though some are, we are all going a million different directions in life now. I have made some friends at work, but at this point none of those friendships extend beyond work hours. I miss having a group of people to hang out with. I realize that now that I have entered "grown up land" my social life will look different, but we don't even have any other married friends here that we hang out with. Hopefully getting involved at church will be a good way to meet people and make friends. That's how I've met pretty much all of my best friends in life so far!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home